On the Tuesday 29th March 2022, the Suaman District Assembly held an Environmental study for Junior Staff Course 77. The meeting begun at exactly 9:00Am at the Conference Hall of the Assembly. Opening prayer was said and an introduction of dignitaries followed. A welcome Address was given by the Hon. D.C.E (Hon. Philip Kwabena Boahen). A brief remarks was given by the leader of the delegation after Hon. D.C.E was done with his speech. The meeting continued with a presentation by Mr. Koomson Daniel (Assistant Agriculture Officer). He presented on the Impact of covid on Agriculture activities and how we can enhance Agro-processing in the district.
Under how Covid affected the Agriculture in the district, he touched on the following;
- Price of commodities compared to period prior to lock down
- Challenges with marketing of foodstuffs
Under how to enhance agriculture in the district, he highlighted on;
- Availability of modern agro-processing facilities and equipment.
- Education and sensitization.
- Ready market for processed agricultural products.
- Ban on the importation of processed agricultural product to encourage local consumption.
He brought his presentation to an end Mr. Joseph Addo Gyan (Assistant Director IIB) from the Central Administration continued and presented on how various security agencies and civil authorities can collaborate to improve security in western north region to promote socio-economic development and reducing the impact of illegal mining on the socio-economic development in the western north region.
He spoke on;
- Challenges to the effective collaboration between security agencies and civil authorities
- Ways to promote collaboration between civil authorities and security agencies
- Benefits of peace and security on socio-economic development
- Causes of illegal mining
- Effect of galamsey on the environment
- Solutions to curb illegal mining
He brought his presentation to an end there was time for Questions and Answers. Hon. D.C.E was presented with a plague. Closing remarks was said by the leader of the delegation followed by vote of thanks and the meeting was brought to an end.